Yesterday I wrote on my afternoon with AFC's Chuck Hughes
. Here's the promised recipe. It so simple and so yummy...its a must try!
(A) Spicy Honey:
• 1 cup honey
• 1 clove garlic, mashed
• 1 tablespoon peppercorn
• 1 tablespoon chili flakes
• 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
• Sea salt
(B) Popcorn Shrimp:
• Oil for deep-frying
• 2 cups of cornstarch (Recommended: Maizena)
• 1/2 cup flour
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 4 eggs, beaten
• 2 pounds of rock shrimp
• Lemon wedges
• For the spicy honey: In a saucepan, on medium heat, bring the honey, garlic, peppercorn, chili flakes, smoked paprika, and salt to a boil and let simmer for 2 minutes. Let cool, strain and transfer to a squeezable bottle. Keep aside.
• For the popcorn shrimp: Preheat the deep-fat fryer to 360 degrees F.
• In a bowl, mix together the cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper. Place the eggs in a bowl add the shrimp and coat. Remove the shrimp, letting the excess egg drip back into the bowl, then add the shrimp to the cornstarch mixture. Gently add to the fryer, turning until golden. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
• Serve immediately after frying and drizzle with the spicy honey and garnish with lemon wedges.